On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 06:00:30 -0700 (PDT)
"'M' via qubes-users" <qubes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>As a newbie I would like some guidance on how to set up the "QubesFirewall"
>"correctly".
>
>I have looked on the following pages, but didn't find any guidance on this.
>
>https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/niMbDhS_nWI
>https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2011/09/28/playing-with-qubes-networking-for-fun.html

It depends entirely on the purpose of the AppVM.  I have one called "money"
where I keep my bookkeeping software.  The ONLY thing allowed in the firewall
rules is for it to connect to my home network for backup purposes when I'm not
at home.  I have not firewalled my "mail" AppVM yet, but I could restrict it to
the servers I use for e-mail (I do pop3 access to yahoo, gmail, hotmail and one
paid for account).  Of course "vault" has zero network access at all.