On Sat, 2020-05-02 at 23:25 +0200, dhorf-hfref.4a288...@hashmail.org
wrote:
> On Sat, May 02, 2020 at 11:01:06PM +0200, Olaf Klinke wrote:
>
> > I presume dom0 did not recognize the drive as a USB device and
> > hence
> > refuses to attach as such? `qvm-usb` yields the empty list.
>
> oh right, you just came full circle:
> attaching USB devices is not going to work without a usbVM.

Where in the documentation is that stated? The manpage of qvm-device
does not mention this. The only hint is that all examples of qvm-usb in
the documentation show sys-usb as backend.

> > The only remaining question is: Did I buy a shitty drive or will
> > any
> > external CD writer behave this way?
>
> no, you just dont have your qubes setup properly.
> once you have a sys-usb ... qvm-usb should work just fine.
>
> for how to do that: see other thread. :P

Okay, so let me try to get this straight, for the record.

1. USB generally is bad, it should be avoided or contained.
2. Putting the USB keyboard into one container together with other
untrusted USB devices is even worse, since whoever controls your
keyboard, controls your computer.
3. Putting the USB keyboard in a qube can and has locked users out of
their systems.
4. If possible, keep the input devices (and only those) attached to
dom0 while attaching all others to sys-usb.

Luckily I seem to have two USB controllers for my peripheral USB ports,
so I can easily separate input- from other USB-devices. Is (4)
possible/recommended? The documentation shows how to hide _all_ USB
controllers from dom0, so I assume one can also choose to hide _some_.