The process isn't terribly involved, go into /etc/apt/sources.list and
change any mentions of buster or what-have-you, and replace that with
jessie, "sudo apt update" Jessie uses the 3.16 kernel(specific package name
found with "aptitude search linux-image), so "sudo apt install
linux-image-3.16.0-10-amd64 && sudo apt-get install
linux-headers-3.16.0-10-amd64" and finally to apply the change "sudo
apt-cache policy linux-image-3.16.0-10-amd64" and voila. honestly probably
a little more hassle than just grabbing an old template from the qubes
repository, but I have almost always preferred doing things the harder way
at first just for the learning experience.