Hi All,

As a complete novice who has never even touched Linux before, I read
through the introductory documentation and finally through the install
guide. Then I performed a fresh install of Qubes 4.0.3 on a an ASUS ZenBook
Flip 15 UX562FA directly over Win10. Everything went well during the
installation. Only suspects were:

   1. installer claimed the SSD was full and that space needed to be
   reclaimed
      1. Reclaimable space was the Win10 OS partition, the Win10 Recovery
      Partition and the UEFI Partition
      2. I deleted only the OS and the Recovery partitions while leaving
      the UEFI partition intact (with fears that if deleted I would mess up the
      bootloader)

   1. After install, I rebooted
   2. I get the Failed to Load Kernel error during the boot sequence
   3. Though that threw me off, boot sequence continued and asked for SSD
   password (no GUI just the terminal).
   4. Then proceeded to enter the user password and went into qubes OS
   5. Noticed there NetworkManager Applet displays red indicating No
   Network Devices Available

   1. Not sure if the applet is looking for an Ethernet card as the laptop
      does not have an ethernet card installed. It only has the Wireless card.
      2. Also not sure this is the issue.

The wireless card is an Intel Wireless-AC 9462 which is supported in
Kernels 4.14+

With my very limited troubleshooting abilities I have managed to confirmed
the following:

   1. sys-net has the Network Controller under Qube Settings > Devices
      1. qvm-pci command in dom0 also shows the device being used by sys-net
      2. lspci -v command in sys-net lists the wireless card with all its
   information
      1. except for "capabilities" which shows "<access denied>" - not sure
      if this is a problem.
      3. I can also confirm that the Fedora 30 TemplateVM has the same
   iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-34.ucode firmware file in lib/firmware/from the Intel
   Website's iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-34.618819.0.tgz firmware package
      1. The other two file from that package LICENSE.iwlwifi-9000.ucode
      and README.iwlwifi-9000.ucode files are not present in /lib/firmware/. (I
      tried to copy them from QubesIncoming/sys-usb into the lib/firmware/
using
      the GUI but got an access denied error) - not sure if this is a problem.

I have tried the following:

   1. Tried to go to Qubes Manager > sys-net > settings to check on wifi
   networks but  settings dialog does not open
   2. Cannot ping www.google.com or 8.8.8.8 from sys-net
   3. I also installed the whonix option
      1. Switching the sys-net template to whonix did not work
      4. Switching sys-net to the Debian template does not work
      1. haven't downloaded or installed any files post install on that
      template

I was really hoping it was a firmware issue with the wireless card but it
does not seem to be the case, and so I am pretty clueless as to what else
it could be.

If you see an issue with my install procedure or any red flags from my
observations, or if you have any idea of how to get wifi going it would be
greatly appreciated.

I love the idea of using Qubes as my main driver and learning about
configuring it and all. But unfortunately without wifi it's pretty useless

thanks!
Ivan M