On Monday, 27 July 2020 at 23:52:20 UTC+8 fiftyfour...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Claudia,
>
> I'm suffering from the same problem as you, and 'dmesg | grep -i
> snd_hda_intel' brought me to this thread.
>
> My sound was originally working fine after I updated dom0 and domus
> (tested via Youtube) but somewhere along the line something broke and the
> next time I did the same thing, no sound. I did everything in my
> non-technical power but it's dead, bub. No idea what caused it.
>
> dmesg output in short:
>
> snd_hda_intel [Audio device PCI code thing]: azx_get_response timeout,
> switching to polling mode: last cmd=0xXXXXXXXXX
>
> snd_hda_intel [Audio device PCI code thing]: No response from codec,
> resetting bus: last cmd=0xXXXXXXXXX    (this line keeps repeating)
>
> snd_hda_intel [Audio device PCI code thing]: azx_get_response timeout,
> switching to single_cmd mode: last cmd=0xXXXXXXXXX
>
> snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: Unable to sync to register 0xXXXXXXX. -5
> snd_hda_codc_hdmi hdaudioC0D2: HDMI: invalid ELD buf size   (note I'm not
> using HDMI)

Update for the benefit thread readers:

On Dell Inspiron 5593, updating dom0 to kernel 5.7 solved the audio problem
(audio starts unreliably after boot--sometimes it works tens of minutes or
hours after boot, making it hard to narrow down which actions caused it to
start, if any did), but left hibernation and suspension inoperable.  On the
current kernel (4.19) the problem for some reason seems to have solved
itself. Maybe it's because I don't use audio on that machine near boot
(unless for testing).

Oh, and this is important to those who value their hearing--keeping your
headphones plugged into the headphone jack when booting on 4.19 leads to
loud screeching noises resembling the death throes of autistic parrots
suffocating on helium. The sound is apparently correlated with CPU use. Not
sure what's going on there,  but my guess is the kernel confused the output
with some other channel or there's some leaking somewhere.