> I just don't like the idea of putting untrusted code in a templateVM used by
> sensitive VMs.

Me neither! But I avoid multiplying templates by installing apps directly into
appvms.
This minimizes the number of templates I have to keep up-to-date.

> fedora-32-zoom (the proprietary videoconferencing software)

You can save the zoom package into the appvm. Can also install its (open
source) dependencies in the template. Then every time you start the appvm, just
install the (already-downloaded) zoom package.

> fedora-32-slack (the group chat app, installed from their own rpm)
>
> fedora-32-print (had to run a Brother install tool to get printer working,
> use it from my dvm-print wich is firewalled only to my local printer ips)
>
> fedora-32-media (has some proprietary media hnadling software)

The general strategy with installing packages inside appvms (at least those
based on debian) is to make the package cache into a bind-dir and then
reinstall package from cache every appvm startup.