> I'm not sure what thread you're referring to (re SEV).

Actually it was a discussion on GitHub qubes-issues:

> A few of us are
> running Qubes 4.1 alpha on new Thinkpad Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U systems
> because the older version of Xen used in Qubes 4.0 is incompatible.
>
> The newer Xen in R4.1 alpha still has a bug that affects CPU scheduling,
> so there is a trick to configuring it for a smooth running system.
>
> Qubes reports that safety features (IOMMU etc) are working. What does
> not currently work is S3 sleep.
>
> Stability is already quite good if you avoid badly-behaved wifi drivers
> (unfortunately the Thinkpad's Intel AX200 is in this category, so I use
> a USB wifi device instead).
>
> I'd say its not too much of a gamble if you're willing to run a new
> alpha or beta of Qubes. But keep in mind your 4750G motherboard may have
> significant differences vs Thinkpad laptops; IMO you need to go with a
> high-quality brand, preferably a pre-built business system from the
> traditional top-3 (Lenovo, Dell, HP).
>
> Here is a relevant thread:
> https://qubes-os.discourse.group/t/qubes-support-on-amd-4000-series-lenovo-x13-t14/202/1

That's encouraging, thank you very much for all the information. It indeed
doesn't look like too much of a gamble then, besides I really don't mind
waiting a bit. The current Qubes machine is just fine and will be for some
time, the new machine is intended to become its successor. Thanks Chris.