I am trying to figure out how to claw back some space on my hard drive but am having a really hard time understanding what is taking up how much space?

For example, I have one appvm that in the qubes manager is showing disk usage as 173000MiB
sudo Baoab is showing me that / is using:
10.5gb
and df -f is showing me that / is using
11gb with 500gb free

and when i try to reduce private storage anything less than it is already (it is set to 550000gb) the settings wont let me, I change it, hit apply and it goes back to 550000gb, no matter if i try to change it by 1 or 100gb, also regardless of if i have the appvm shutdown or not?

Am having a really hard time understanding this so any clarification would be appreciated!