> Thank you for the response. It actually ended up that cron did not like
> executing a script, I just put the exact same line from the script
> directly into cron.cron is not anti-script as such. I experienced
problems using pipes (I guess a pipe spawns off a new thread, that does
not necessarily run under the same user)
> Now I just need to understand how to setup things to delete backups
> older than X

using "find". to find *files* "f" (in contrast with "d") older than 30
days that are called backup*.luks, it would be

  find   /path  -type f  -iname   backup\*.luks   -mtime +30   -print

the word "-print"   displays them.

Rem1: The first "*" must be backslashed in the find command, you don't
      want bash to expand it!

Rem2: careful with auto-delete (don't complain :)
      you replace -print by -delete