Maybe it's related to recent updates, or my computer is starting to die:
Anyway: Today I had plugged in my USB stick and attached it successfully
to "vault". I had opened a file from it. The suddenly within one second,
I saw the stick being disconnected and reconnected, and the "vault"
failed to write the file.

that happens also when a "bad electrical connection" happens (worn out
usb plug, for example). Then the usb-"attach" breaks, but the virtual
device number (xvd..) i still blocked, so a reconnect increases the
number (from i to j to k). etc. That is not "expected" but happens.

I would power down sys-usb and vault and try again. And I would not take
data from usb into vault, rather from usb into a dispVM first, if you
need to grab data into vault: There you can still perform (integrity)
checks before copying them to vault...