This is an arms race though and eventually mozilla will make any particular
methods of overriding the default search not work. It's really annoying.

I looked into using other browsers but IceCat
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat> seems to not receive security
updates frequently enough to be a viable secure browser. It seems we are
stuck with firefox and playing this arms race game for setting default
search forever.