Is there a standard HOWTO I can follow to fix the boot process (to go
from a grub / xen.cfg that fails to LUKS decrypt and load unencrypted
rootfs)

Not that I know. Would be helpful, indeed.

Unfortunately the grub update for the kernel upgrade seems to have
messed up the boot process. How do I figure out if it's installed for
BIOS or UEFI mode ?

That is in your BIOS. If it is "legacy" it means old-school MBR, if not
it should be written UEFI somewhere.
My data is safe and LUKS encrypted . I can use a live USB to decrypt it,
access it and I also have made 2 backup copies.
good.

So with nothing to lose I tried to fix the boot manually from a live USB
including creating /etc/default/grub but situation is no better.

I had similar problems recently. If it is UEFI (and I guess so),
efibootmgr is your friend (not preinstalled on debian-live, but you grab
it easily via apt-get). Also look the "UEFI troubleshooting" qubes
webpage! You can re-do the qubes boot entry with efibootmgr (please read
the man  page, syntax is not memorisable for me).   Good luck, Bernhard