Steve Coleman:

Apparently, I need to reinstall a new fedora-33 template baseline and
painstakingly install all these packages one at a time while restarting
Debian-10 to try an 'apt-get update' between package installs. Somewhere
along the way, it will break and whatever I just installed will be the
culprit. I think I'll be doing a lot of cloning of templates creating
checkpoints along the way.

Good find. Hope my suggestions didn't cost you too much time.

Depending how many packages you're talking about, a binary search might help- install half of them recursively.

--
- don't top post