Set the following kernel options on the installer usb media:

Comment out noexitboot=1 and mapbs=1
(https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/)

Blacklisted nouveau (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/)

Set i915.force_probe=*
(https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/troubleshooting/intel-igfx-troubleshooting.md)

Works perfectly out of the box.

Touchpad isn't very good on this laptop (nothing to do with qubes). It's
an older synaptics unit and has weird acceleration behaviour. I tried
playing around with the config but would definitely say Lenovos and
Dells have much better thinkpads.

I've been testing qubes on a few older workstation laptops - all have 4K
screens. I haven't found dealing with that particularly difficult even
with i3. Follow the instructions here off the bat:
https://github.com/Qubes-Community/Contents/blob/master/docs/troubleshooting/intel-igfx-troubleshooting.md.

I use an ultrawide monitor at my desk, but have the laptop display
switched off when it's connected, so I don't have to deal with multiple
displays at different DPIs. I just wrote a script that checks the screen
resolution then rewrites the dom0 xft.resources dpi setting, passes the
gsettings commands to all running vms via qvm-run and restarts lightdm,
and bound it to a key in my i3 config. I then have another script that
autostarts in each VM to check what the screen resolution is and sets
the scaling for the VM appropriately. A little bit fiddly initially but
works fine, and given I only have to use it when I'm docking or
undocking the machine (which is not that often), restarting lightdm
isn't a particularly big deal. I'll post my configs elsewhere, but I
wouldn't let that deter you from running Qubes on a 4k laptop, it's
really nowhere near as annoying as some of the threads you get from a
google search suggest.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/a60608b2-f0bf-fb47-df15-abfddd801916%40protonmail.com.
---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'convertible'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  HP
model: |
  HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX
bios: |
  F.42
cpu: |
  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:5914] (rev 08)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:5917] (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub [8086:9d35] (rev 21)
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)
memory: |
  16260
scsi: |

usb: |