Hi, marmarek!

Thank for following up!

On 18/06/2023 14:35, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
On Mon, Jun 05, 2023 at 03:24:52PM +0200, Sylwester Arabas wrote:
I'm trying out Qubes OS on a new Dell Latitude 3520 laptop. It has a 4-core
i5 (cpu family: 6, model: 140) and it came with pre-installed Ubuntu. Qubes
installation from a USB drive went smooth using the R4.1.2 image; wifi and
sound worked well out of the box. The first showstopper is a problem with
suspend support.

Tried so far updating the dom0 kernel to 6.3.2 and setting
"mem_sleep_default=deep" within grub.cfg, but neither helped.

The symptom is that, after closing the lid, the system seems to suspend, but
it does not resume. The only way out is to hold the power button long enough
so that a full reboot is made.

What might be relevant:

     [slayoo@dom0 ~]$ sudo dmesg | grep ACPI | grep supports
     [    3.798651] ACPI: PM: (supports S0 S5)
     [slayoo@dom0 ~]$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
     [s2idle]

That is the problem. Qubes currently doesn't support it yet, only S3 is
supported. Look if you have a BIOS option to enable S3 (sometimes called
"Linux S3" or similar). If not, I'm afraid you are out of luck, you can
see progress of s2idle support at (as you already found):

In BIOS, I did find a seemingly relevant "Block Sleep" option. It was set to ON by default. The description reads: "This option lets you to block entering Sleep (S3) mode in the operating system". Changing it to OFF has not changed anything, though. This seems consistent with users' reports at https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-General/Dell-Latitude-5420-5520-S3-Suspend-deep-sleep-not-working-on/td-p/7981601

I have then tried to workaround it by modifying the DSDT table as suggested here: https://dev.to/epassaro/fix-suspend-issues-on-dell-7405-2-in-1-3l1b, but after decompiling the original table with the `iasl` tool, there seem to be no code relevant to S3 present in the .dsl file.

As a next step, I've updated BIOS (from v1.19.0 to 1.29.0 released by Dell this month). There seem to be no new relevant options in BIOS, and waking up from suspended state still does not work (checked again with "Block Sleep" OFF).

I'll be watching developments at the #6411 issue, then.
As of now, that's a genuine showstopper :(

Thanks!
Sylwester

--
https://slayoo.github.io/