ok, i found now a way to install 4.2-rc4:

While the automatic detection of th einstallation source, that used to work
in 4.1-2 did not work,
the new option to install from an iso (one needs to first choose a drive,
then find the directory where the iso is stored on that drive, finally
select the iso)
did work, even from an nts drive, quite impressive!
after selecting the iso, i still needed to install the software. i am a bit
puzzled: there is no choice, only one option, but i had to confirm it
anyway.
after then choosing my target drive, the installaiton ran without problems,
like with version 4.1-2

Again, at the end the boot from the external ss that i had selected as
installation target did not work with the F12 bootmenu from the lebovo
thinkpad p15,
however. i checked that this also does not work with other linix
installations, so it is no error from qubes but a limitation in the bios of
the p15 i guess.
Thank you for listening.

all the best
Kai