Pete Stephenson wrote:
> It may simply be easier to get a GPS 18 LVC and see if I can get it
> connected and seeing if it'll reach a nearby spot where I can get
> signal. Either that, or get a "proper" WWVB receiver with a better
> antenna.

I recently purchased a Garmin GPS 18 LVC for the purposes of a refclock.
After soldering all the wires to a 9-pin serial connector and getting power
from a USB port, I connected it to my Windows machine and used the Garmin
SNSRCFG software to test it out.  To my surprise it had locked on to 8
satellites, and currently seems to vary anywhere from 3 to 10.  I had plans
to mount it outside a window or possibly on the slope of the roof, but from
the looks of it now I can leave it sitting on top of my Linux machine where
it is currently connected, with the 5 meter cable still coiled up in a twist
tie.

I don't have any long-term data yet, as it's only been two days, but so far
it works great.  Offsets average about +- 15 us, and jitter and noise are in
the 1-2 us range.

So you might try the GPS 18 LVC as you just might get good signal, even
indoors like mine.

--
Dennis Hilberg Jr <timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com>

NTP Server Information: http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php