On 2007-10-19, Richard B. Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some Linux systems have known problems with losing timer interrupts!
> During periods of heavy I/O load disk drivers may mask or disable
> interrupts for a little too long a time. . . .  Some Windows systems
> have also been known to exhibit similar behavior.

I would like to know more about this.  How can I monitor the interrupts?

After my original post, I remembered that this machine has a unique
feature.  I compiled a new kernel to add the Reiser file system.
I don't think I changed anything else, but I don't have any previous
experience with custom kernels.

> What's the value stored in your drift file?

Currently it's 74.080.  This morning it started out around 30.

> DON'T use burst!  The burst keyword was intended for situations where
> ntpd has to make a phone call to NIST (or similar service) to get the
> time.  It is NOT suitable for general use over the internet.

Without burst, it just drifts freely.  The size of the drift is even
worse than I thought.  With burst, here are some lines from the log
file:

Oct 19 13:37:23 client ntpd[12595]: time reset +13.151972 s
Oct 19 13:55:58 client ntpd[12595]: time reset +8.779090 s
Oct 19 14:08:09 client ntpd[12595]: time reset +8.712040 s
Oct 19 14:28:21 client ntpd[12595]: time reset +11.494533 s
Oct 19 14:44:53 client ntpd[12595]: time reset +9.450835 s

If I ever get this situation under control I'll turn off burst.

> Iburst is good.  It gets you a fast startup and then lets your system
> poll the server at normal intervals.
>
> Check the value of a Kernel variable called "HERTZ".  Some Linux systems
> set it to 1000 which is not good for NTP.  If yours is set to 1000 (or
> 250) try changing it to 100.

More ignorance on my part.  Where would I look for this?  I searched
the kernel source code and didn't find it.

> Using a single server is not usually a good idea.  Two servers are the
> worst possible configuration; ntpd has no good way to decide which one
> to believe.  Three are good but four are better.  Try to select servers
> that are close to you in network space (low values of Delay).

Again, I'll fix this if I ever get things running properly.  The one
server I chose is our master campus server, which is quite close
network-wise.

Here's another issue.  I just learned about the distinction between
the kernel clock and the hardware (TOY) clock.  I have tried running
hwclock from time to time, comparing it to my WWV-controlled wall
clock.  It never seems to be more than 1 or 2 seconds off.  Is there
any way to exploit this?