Danny wrote:
> Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > There is a good reason for the move_fd code.  Frank would probably know
> > better, and he's on vacation for another 2-3 weeks' time.

> Actually I was the one that wrote it and yes there are good reasons for
> doing it.

Cool - thanks for letting me know those things.

Would you please *add* the good reasons to a comment in the code just
before the definition of move_fd() when you get a chance?  There are
*plenty* of undocumented cases where we do something for a good reason
nobody can remember anymore.

> However, if for some reason this causes a problem on his
> particular O/S we can create a conditional macro to have it not use it.

And until somebody besides you knows the good reason for move_fd(),
nobody else will know if disabling move_fd() for AIX will be a good
thing or if it will trade one problem for another (in this case, the
underlying reason for having move_fd()).

> > I think it has to do with making sure there is room to open different sorts
> > of files, and may only be important if one has refclocks.
> >
> > But it could be Bad to disable move_fd() in general for AIX.
> >

> We don't know the general case to be able to answer that one.

OK, so again, when the underlying reasons fo having move_fd() are
documented (and therefore better known) in general, we have a chance of
coming up with a better answer for this, too.

> > As for IPv6, are there any versions of AIX where IPv6 is working?
>
> Yes, IPv6 does work on AIX. It's just that it's being confused by 6over4
> and 4in6 and at least some versions of the O/S is not keeping the
> address space separate. It should be running as a dual-stack or at least
> not trying to play tricks with the address space.

OK, sounds to me like that is an instance of "not working", at least as
far as we are concerned.

If there are known problems/issues with things like this, I would
strongly request that people add this sort of information somewhere.  It
could be the code, or it could be at http://support.ntp.org/Dev .

If we can figure out which versions of the OS do what, and if we can
determine what OS version we have at runtime, we can have a single AIX
executable DTRT depending on the OS verison (or patch level).