David J Taylor wrote:

> NTP on Windows uses the RDTSC instruction.  Which CPU does it read the
> time stamp counter from?  If NTP is multi-threaded, different threads
> could be run on different CPUs with different TSCs.  Yes, just the same
> issues arise with 4 CPUs, and I don't know how the Windows version of NTP
> handles the multi-processor scenario.

How do you know that NTP on Windows uses the RDTSC instruction? The CPU
on which the thread is running will be used to read the TSC. In the case
of Windows NTP definitely *is* multithreaded. It needs to be to operate
correctly. I cannot currently tell you how it interoperates with Windows
with multiprocessors. That's a research topic and non-trivial at that.