>>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (linux newbie) writes:

linux> We run 'ntpd' in server and ntpdate in the client and after every 5
linux> seconds, if we query the client (ntpdate -q) we find there is
linux> millisecond difference.  As both of them are connected through the
linux> same LAN and both are running the same time( ofcourse same clock
linux> freq) we are suppose to get 'zero' time difference.

Run ntpd on both systems for a bit, then take a look.  As others have said,
you may be using the wrong tool for this job.  If you want better sync, you
may want to run a PPS signal to both boxes and let them each sync to that as
well as to each other.

http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!