"Martin Burnicki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[...]
> However, using exactly 2 NTP servers is a bad choice. If the 2 servers
> disagree on the right time (for whatever reason) then the clients are
> unable to decide which of the servers to follow.

This is true under the assumption that both are configured with
independent external time sources. However, if one is designated the
backup and only takes its time from the primary, the clients will
only ever believe it if the primary is unreachable.

Care should be taken not to configure both with local clocks at the
same stratum, since that will un-break the assumption again if the
primary loses its time sources. The secondary should have the local
clock driver at a stratum two worse than the primary.

Not configuring local clocks is always an option, however, I think it
is usually more desireable to have an isolated flock drift away together,
with a single disconnected source, rather than all of them drifting at
random.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink