>The nodes' drifts are high:
># cat /etc/ntp.drift
>node-A: 499.206
>node-B: 497.070

500 ppm is the limit.

>The next day, after restarting ntpd on the nodes and resetting
>the time on all nodes with ntpdate, everything worked as
>expected with the time syncing properly, no false tickers, and the
>nodes' drifts are under 30.0. No network changes were made.

There is/was some case where ntpd would get confused and bang
its head against the limits.  It would often recover if you rebooted
the system or maybe just restarted ntpd.

I think something in that area was fixed a while ago, but I
don't remember the details and I could easily be wrong.

I'm pretty sure you aren't the first person to ask a question like
that.

What version of ntpd are you using?  Can you easily upgrade to
a recent ntp-dev?

Have you seen that more than once?