Hi Jan, all.

Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Dean S. Messing wrote:
> > I am seeing strange behaviour on my _x86_64 Fedora 7 desktop
> > workstation with regard to the "system-cmos" time that `adjtimex'
> > reports.
>
> I've not read your whole post; it's clear that you've been wrestling
> with this problem for a while and have done quite a bit of work already.

Well, I've done what I can but I'm really no expert on this stuff.
That's why I wrote to this list, which seems to be populated by _many_
very knowledgeable people.

> Can I however suggest that you first try and eliminate CPU frequency
> scaling as a cause of the symptoms you're seeing: use cpufreq-set -g to
> select a policy that results in a constant CPU frequency and then check
> if this changes the behaviour (or renders it more predictable).

I installed the cpufreq-utils package.
The result of `cpufreq-info' is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to [EMAIL PROTECTED], please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
analyzing CPU 1:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
analyzing CPU 2:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
analyzing CPU 3:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

Also /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu{0,1,2,3}/cpufreq/ does not exist on
this system.  I don't know much about cpufreq adjustments.  Should I
be looking elsewhere?  Note that this is a desktop workstation.  Will
the cpufreq (actually there are four CPUs in two dual-core units)
change on such a machine?

If you or others wouldn't mind reading my whole original post (it's
not _that_ long :-) maybe some other ideas might occur.  Thanks.