"David L. Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>The intended behavior if the servers do correctly signal a leap and the
>kernel is unaware of that, is that the step interval will be exceeded
>for about 15 minutes and then the time will be stepped. During that
>interval your clock will appear one second slow relative to the server
>that has correctly inserted a second. There will be no slew, onlly the
>step. The fact that your time showed otherwise suggests either the step
>has been disabled or something else comes unstuck. Our clocks here
>showed no such behavior as yours.

During the 2005 leap second, I did see some of our peers show an
offset of 0.5 seconds for reasons that I don't understand.  For
example, see the last graph on this page:

        http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/leap2005_peers.html

It wasn't the only example - several other peers showed an offset
of near 0.5 seconds after the leap - you can find those through the
"more graphs of other peers" link at the bottom of the page.

        David.