Pat Farrell wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:40:31 -0800, Dennis Hilberg, Jr. wrote:
>
>>> statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
>> You won't generate any clockstats unless your using a clock driver.
>

> Which I assume requires an external real clock, GPS, WWV, etc.?

An attached refclock yes.  And using one of the drivers from here:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html#list

>> Using 'noquery' prevents people from using ntpq and ntpdc (and ntptrace
>> too I believe) on your server.
>
> OK, I took that one out.
>
>>>  broadcast 172.16.4.255
>> Disable broadcast unless you are using it.
>
> Does this control broadcasting as opposed to clients on the local
> 172.16/16 net doing queries?

What I know about broadcast I learned from the docs, as I've never used it
myself.  But from what I understand a broadcast server will continuously
send out time information, and a broadcastclient will receive these if
configured, and automatically us it as a synchronization source without
having to manually specify it in the ntp.conf file.  Perhaps someone else
could elaborate on this.

It has nothing to do with queries, as in ntpq or ntpdc queries, if that's
what you were referring to.

--
Dennis Hilberg, Jr.     \  timekeeper(at)dennishilberg(dot)com
NTP Server Information:  \  http://saturn.dennishilberg.com/ntp.php