Unruh wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

>>On Feb 18, 3:41 pm, Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>>NTP time is UTC which assumes 86400 seconds in each and every [[year]] day.

>>My understanding is the opposite: In the UTC time scale, the
>>minute, hour, day, week are of variable duration, depending
>>on the insertion or deletion of leap seconds.
>

>>In the TAI time scale, the minute, hour, day, week are of
>>constant duration.
>

> No, in UTC all years are 86400 seconds, even if during that year a second
> was added or subtracted. Ie, utc retains no memory of leap seconds. Thus a
> year with a leap second added has 86400 UTC seconds but 86401 TAI seconds.
> UTC simply erases that leap second from memory. It never existed.
>

>>Paul

The most interesting thing about leap seconds, as far as I'm concerned,
is the fact that the last leap second left the timing world in disarray
for about twenty-four hours.  Some added a second, a few subtracted a
second and some ignored the leap second.  It took a long time and, I
suspect, considerable manual intervention to get all the clocks synched
up again!