David,

In the code you cite the interplay between the deamon frequency and
kernel frequency was fragile and hard to follow. It is now more direct
and easy to follow. It's in the ntp-dev branch as part of the general
cleanup.

I put a good deal of effort into the ornamental commentary, but not as
much zeal as in the code itself, so sometimes the code might not do
exactly what the ornament says.

Dave