unix2266 wrote:
> Folks;
>  I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network. I have one
>  Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server My 3 questions are:
>
>  1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts" file on
>  the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux server point
>  to the NTP server?

The /etc/hosts file is used to convert host names into IP addresses, e.g. in
cases if a DNS server is not available.

To specify a NTP server you have to add the host name or IP address of that
server to the /etc/ntp.conf file.

Then you have to start the NTP daemon. In most cases your Linux version
comes with a startup script, e.g.:

/etc/init.d/ntp start

or similar.

>  2. After pointing the Linux server to the NTP server, do i need to reboot
>  the Linux server or restart any daemon on the Linux server? in other
>  words, what do i need to do to make sure the changes i made in the
>  "/etc/hosts" took affect?
>
>  3. Is there a way to test the NTP server to make sure it interact with
>  the Linux server & will work fine if i have a timing issue on the Linux
>  server? I want to test it so if something happens for real i don't look
>  like a dummy

As a primer you may want to have a look at our NTP info page:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/ntp.htm

More detailed information can be found on the NTP support pages:
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/WebHome
http://support.ntp.org

Martin
--