David,

The original model implemented in the Alpha kernel does not step the
clock backward unless the step is greater than two seconds. Rather, it
stops the clock and advances one microsecond at each read. This applies
whether NTP slews or steps. Various ports of that code have broken this
model in every possible way.

The 500-PPM slew once was common in the ubiquitous Unix kernel. The
value was chosen as a compromise between short slew time for relatively
small adjustments and moderate resolution during the slew interval. This
works out to 5 microseconds per tick with a 100-Hz clock and a 5-us
jitter. In truth this could be changed to anything you want, as long as
the value is fixed.

Some kernelmongers, including SGI and Linux, have put up fancy code
designed to reduce the slew time for large adjustments. This inserts and
additional pole in the clock discipline impulse response which results
in unstable behavior for adjustments over half a second or so.

The default step threshold is 128 ms; the -x command line option sets it
to 600 s and does nothing else. The 600-s value was chosen as the
expected accuracy with eyeball and wristwatch. If the extra pole is not
there, the original response is preserved over that range and largely
independent of the slew value itself.

Say you change from 5 us per tick to 1 ms per tick or 100 ms/s. This
would amortize a 600-s adjustment in almost two hours and reduce the
resolution to 1 ms. If your extended network requires synchronization to
better than one second, in all but the last second of that slew the
network would not be synchronized.

Dave