"Richard B. Gilbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Unruh wrote:

>>> That's going to be very difficult to do!  Getting the whole herd to the
>>> point where the difference between any two nodes is less than 50 usec is
>>> damned near impossible using NTP on a LAN.  You might want to consider
>>> using a Pulse Per Second (PPS) signal delivered to each node, with NTP
>>> used only to timestamp the rising edge.  If you compensate for cable
>>> delays you can probably get to within 50-100 usec.
>>
>> Nuts. I regularly get 10us on a lan connecting my machines all over the
>> physics building here.
>> The biggest problem is the rate changes due to heating while the computers
>> are being used. The delay in the software adjusting to that is the key
>> noise problem.
>>

>A lot may depend on your LAN.  A large 10/100 UTP net (300 nodes) in
>which traffic might pass through two or three switches to reach its
>destination is not necessarily well behaved for timing purposes.  Even
>after dividing the mess into several VLANs the performance left much to
>be desired.  It worked but I don't think we ever did much better than
>millisecond accuracy.

Well, I am in a physics dept. Some of my machines are across the building
from others-- into the hall switch cabinette down to the basement over to
the uplink to the other cabinette, through those switches to the other
computer. Typical fluctuation in timing is less than 20us, much less.
http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/chrony/chrony.html

inflaton, orbit, dilaton are across the building from string, the GPS
controlled ntp time source. The rest are in the same room.(but the switch
is across the hall.)