PTP default profile operation is 1 way sync transmissions from the
grandmaster to all slaves (via multicast) with an implicit "occasional"
delay request/response for ranging from each slave.  The work we are
doing in the telecom space (through ITU and IETF) defines a new
application profile for PTP which is unicast based and has a 1:1
correspondence between sync and delay request/response.  It also allows
higher sync and delay request rates.

So, while NTP and PTP essentially have a like set of timestamps and
fundamental assumptions, I wouldn't say they do the same thing.  The
small LAN is where PTP default profile is optimized for operation.
While everything from a single LAN segment to the big, hairy, scary
Internet is the target for NTP (along with lousy oscillators).

On a small LAN, with light traffic, it is likely all moot.

I'm not sure we agree on the effectiveness of the clock servo in ntp.
First, there is no protocol requirement to only use 8 taps, it could be
changed.  I've checked :-) IIRC, there are 20 taps in the ACTS reference
clock driver.  However, since the network client filter is 8 entries
deep, and the poll interval can climb to 1024 seconds, I wonder if you
feel like the frequency stability of a pc is useful out at observation
intervals in the 10k seconds range?  My guess would be that
environmentals would stomp on those samples.  Also, wander can be
introduced by the LRD characteristics of network traffic.

However, moving closer in, I still think the higher update rate has
value.  If you start using higher quality oscillators and hardware
timestamping, the dominant noise source becomes the delay variation in
the network.  Since the remote clock can't average this (it's not
uniform or Gaussian), it needs to use some intelligent filtering.
Higher packet rates mean that there are more samples to pick from.

Also, one thing a lot of these discussions miss is the natural tradeoff
between trying to be the most accurate vs trying to be the most stable.
These tradeoffs, as well as differences in noise processes, mean there
is no one "correct" servo.   Having spent some time studying networks
with multiple network load generators connected through and across
network where sync is transferred (mostly for wireless backhaul), I've
developed a healthy respect for many of the various sampling and
filtering functions in ntp.

Greg Dowd
gdowd at symmetricom dot com (antispam format)
Symmetricom, Inc.
www.symmetricom.com
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert
Einstein