Unruh said the following on 05/29/2008 05:00 PM:

>> <shameless_plug>
>> If you need to distribute the same PPS signal to a number of boxes, I
>> designed a board which is being sold as a kit by TAPR (we have
>> arrangements with someone who can assemble them for a fee, if required)
>> that provides up to six TTL level PPS signals, as well as two RS-232
>> compatible signals.  Check http://www.tapr.org/kits_tadd-3.html.
>> </shameless_plug>
>
> Why BNC connectors?

Because most time-and-frequency related test gear uses coaxial cable for
interconnects, and BNCs are the most commonly used connectors.  For
really precise measurements, connectors that are threaded rather than
pressure-fit, like SMA or TNC, are preferred.  But the BNC is pretty
universally used.

The TADD-3 does have two RS-232 level outputs on headers that mate with
ribbon cable to DB-9 adapters, but the performance (specifically, the
pulse rise and fall times) is much worse than the TTL levels because the
RS-232 spec calls for relatively slow transitions to minimize RFI.  We
use the fastest version of the MAX-232 level converter chips, but it's
still orders of magnitude slower than the rise-time of the coaxial
outputs (which are a couple of nanoseconds).

John