David J Taylor wrote:
> Yesterday I undated my Windows Vista system to Service Pack 1, and whilst
> NTP initially appeared to work correctly, it soon developed an oscillating
> state.  See:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-Vista.html

They look like damped oscillations, so the questions are:

- why are you getting time steps;
- why is the response not critically damped.

Can I just confirm that this system is connected to its time sources
only by ethernet, and that that ethernet has low latency drivers?  Apart
from that one might suspect some complex power management feature.

Under damping tends to indicate that ntpd is miscalculating the
frequency correction.  On Windows, the API it uses directly controls the
software clock rate.