Dave Close wrote:

> What I haven't found while reading is how it is possible for a server to
> be both reachable and rejected. Note that the reject condition is not

That's quite easy, but I can't see a case which applies here (using a
not recently synchronised w32time server (NAT would make no difference),
kiss of death because of the excess query rate from the router (I think
the refid would be special); the two servers have error bands that do
not overlap (I can't remember whether this would produce a special flag
in the ntpq output))

> constant; the servers are accepted occasionally, but not for very long.

That does sound like kiss of death, except for the refid.

What would help is the result of running rv against each association ID,
to get the detailed state for the association.