David,

See the Association Management page, Orphan Mode section. It would be
odd if the casual reader did not come away from that section with the
impression that orphan mode was always preferred over the local clock
driver.

What you report seems to be common practice in packaged systems -
include the local clock driver - is unfortunate. I consider that a bad
practice, but then my engineering principles might not coincide with
their on-ground reality.

I understand some folks, including you, disapprove of certain aspects of
ntpd behavior. The engineered behavior is consistent with the behavior
of linear feedback control systems, both in theory and implementation.
These systems have stored internal state that is continuously updated in
operation. In order to avoid initial transients the state at startup
must be completely consistent with this state; otherwise, there will be
an initial transient. Same is true of aircraft autopilots, your car and
any other feedback control system. If you start ntpd with exactly the
right frequencey and exactly the right offset, there will be no initial
transient. Otherwise, there will be a transient.

Dave