Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have 2 Solaris 10 servers and want them to be the office's NTP servers.
>
> I understood that there are what we call stratum servers.
>
> What should I install on my servers?
>
> thank you

Solaris ships with an ANCIENT version of ntpd.  You can use that if you
wish.  You can also download the source for the latest version and build
it.  The newer version offers more features, maybe some fixes.

You will need to create a configuration file that tells ntpd which
servers to use, whether or not to insist on cryptographic
authentication, and a bunch of other fun stuff.

The expression "stratum servers" is not, AFAIK, used anywhere in the NTP
world.  Each system running ntpd operates at a particular stratum.
Stratum one servers have a direct connection to an atomic clock.
Stratum two servers get time from stratum one servers, stratum three
from stratum two and so on.  Stratum is best understood as the number of
"hops" from the atomic clock at the root of the tree to your system.

Stratum has little or nothing to do with accuracy; the last NTP survey
found a server claiming to be stratum one that didn't even have the
correct year!