James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com> writes:

>One of my servers is reporting leap_none / leap=00.  It uses
>usno.pa-x.dec.com (204.123.2.72) as its server.  (Chosen because
>it is so close; the rtt is 2-3 ms.)

ntpq -p usno.pa-x.dec.com never responds.

>Are there any other publicly available servers not advertizing
>the leap second?

GPS does not advertise leap seconds (they just insert them when
appropriate) so if their only source is gps, then they have "no way of
knowing". Just make sure you have a variety of servers. ntp will do a
majority poll of the non-false-tickers to determine whether to set the
leapsecond or not. (If the refclock does advertise leap, then leap is set.
If the refclock does not but a majority of the true-tickers do then leap is
set.)