On Dec 22, 8:41 pm, hal-use...@ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net (Hal
Murray) wrote:
> >I'm using Garmin LVC's.  I used the windows config program on one of
> >them and changed the baud rate to 9600, turned the PPS on, and enabled
> >NEMA 3.x.
>
> The NMEA driver in ntpd is not expecting you to change the baud rate.
> There may be some way to configure it to use other baud rates, but I
> don't remember anything like that.

For those wondering, and willing to recompile, it's in refclock_nmea.c
#define SPEED232        B4800   /* uart speed (4800 bps) */
I changed it to
#define SPEED232        B9600   /* uart speed (9600 bps) */
and it worked. The nmearead data ntpd debug shows changed from digital
noise to nmea sentences.