Phreon,

phr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 22, 8:57 am, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de>
> wrote:
[...]
>> And yes, the refid of a refclock can be set in ntp.conf, e.g.:
>>
>> server 172.127.8.0 mode 2    # sets the refid to "DCFa"
>> fudge 172.127.8.0 refid STC  # changes the refid to "STC"  ;-)
>
> So other than using ntptrace to see if the refclock is reported as an
> upstream server (an unlikely stratum 0) or something else, there's
> really no way to know what the heck it  is in reality.

Right. However, there are institutes like the German PTB (www.ptb.de) who
are operating their own public NTP servers and have fudged their refid to
"PTB".

> I can't say
> that idea gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
> my non-caffeinated brain is telling me someone driven by a budget
> could set up a server using nothing but it's LCL clock as a source but
> fudge the ID to be something else.

If the server is operated by a trusted intitution then this is OK.

If the server belongs to the public pool servers then a large offset will be
noticed and the server removed from the pool.

Using some server on the internet without knowing who operates them is not
good policy, and you're on your own risk. Anyway, if you'd configure
several upstream servers then a freewheeling stratum 1 should automatically
be detected and discarded.

> On an isolated network, there'd be
> no way to detect this (assuming for this academic argument you don't
> wear a reasonably accurate watch). I can imagine a group of such
> servers peering with each other endlessly hunting around themselves.

If there is an NTP server on an isolated network then there is also an
administrator who has installed that server, so you can contact him.

> If ntpd came with a "fixStupidNtpConf.ss" script, I'd feel better
> about this.

I don't think such a script is a good idea.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren