On Mar 9, 2:05 pm, ma...@ntp.org (Danny Mayer) wrote:
> As far as I am aware there is no way to change the list of addresses
> returned via any available knobs so how are site policies involved? You
> cannot change getaddrinfo() unless you implement your own and there is
> no purpose to doing so. The order of addresses records is indeterminate
> by DNS standards and anything that is being done by getaddrinfo() is
> implementation/OS specific and cannot be depended upon. See the
> discussion in namedroppers.

[...]
> Because there is no way to change the order. That's not a site policy,
> it's an O/S-specific implementation

I take your word that RFC 3484 is being discussed on namedroppers.  If
they are not already aware, you might want to point them in the
direction of

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/draft-ietf-6man-node-req-bis/

where you can find that current draft IPv6 node requirements include
RFC 3484 compliance.  Looking at the abstract of RFC 3484, quoting,
"All IPv6 nodes, including both hosts and routers, must implement
default address selection as defined in this specification."  If you
dig just a little further you will see that in fact sorting of entries
returned by getaddrinfo is the heart of RFC 3484.

So it is true the order is implementation specific, but only within
the bounds set by RFC 3484 and optionally with local configuration via
a "policy table".

> > I'm not sure why you quoted this, but since you failed to respond I
> > take it you're no longer claiming IPv6 stacks need routers to discern
> > link-local from global addresses.
>
> site-local addresses should be sufficient to reach global addresses.
> Routers are needed for that but the site-local prefix needs to be
> configured so that auto-config finds it.

You are bringing site-local into the conversation?  Since site-local
is routed, from the stack perspective it's pretty much like global.
Link-local IPv6 addresses being fundamentally unable to connect to
global addresses is why their presence doesn't trigger attempts to
follow AAAA records.

I look forward to the fruits of your IPv6 labors in ntpd.

Cheers,
Dave hart