Dave Hart wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Danny Mayer <ma...@ntp.org> wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> 30/05/2009 06:37:45 NTP Error None 1 N/A BACCHUS setsockopt(208,
>>> SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE, on): Invalid argument
>> I remember seeing that too on my Windows 2000 server as well but I
>> didn't get around to looking at it before. That's because Dave created
>> an ifdef around the function call. However it's always defined for
>> Windows because he defined it in config.h. What is really needed here is
>> a run-time check for Windows version to see if it can be set. However
>> this was first made available in NT 4.0 SP4 so it should be supported
>> and I don't see why it would fail in this way. I think that the real
>> reason for this problem is that it is not available to anyone but
>> admistrators before XP.
>
> I think Danny put his finger on it with the administrators group.  I
> had forgotten that ugly little wrinkle.  I suspect the messages would
> go away if David Taylor put his "ntp" user in the Administrators group
> temporarily:
>
> net localgroup administrators ntp /add
>
> and to return to normal:
>
> net localgroup administrators ntp /del
>
> I'm not sure a runtime check is useful, though, except to decide at
> runtime to not log this particular error code on systems earlier than
> XP.   Attempting to set it still seems like the right thing to me.

I didn't see the error message this morning when I tried it on my 2000
server. However, you should not ifndef out the code in set_reuseaddr().
The code should do both if available. It does affect wildcard use and it
fails to bind other addresses once the wildcard address is bound. I
notice that you do a version check in open_socket for versions before XP
but fail to allow it to use the set_reuseaddr() since
SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE is defined by the compiler. There is no reason for
the version check for SO_REUSEADDR but there is for the
SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE and that can be done withing the function.

Danny

Danny

believed to be clean.