I'm using ntpd 4.2.4p4 on several Ubuntu 9.04 ("Jaunty") servers.

Recently, I've been reconfiguring some of my servers to use the "pool"
DNS names (e.g., "server 0.us.pool.ntp.org").  I've noticed that I
sometimes end up associating with a stratum-1 server from a pool.  As
an experiment, I specified 0.de.pool.ntp.org (the German pool), and
one of my servers is currently syncing to zit-net2.uni-paderborn.de (a
stratum-1 server currently syncing to a DCF77 clock).  I've seen this
a couple of times with the US pool as well -- though I'm afraid it
didn't occur to me at the time to write down the stratum-1 servers
involved.

Since (as I understand) end-user clients should avoid dealing directly
with stratum-1 servers, I assume this probably isn't as it should be.
Is it, in fact, proper for a stratum-1 server to be registered as part
of a pool?  Where -- if anywhere -- should I report a stratum-1 server
found in a pool?  Should I consider doing something in my ntp.conf so
as to avoid bothering a server from a pool if it happens to be in
stratum 1?

Rich Wales
ri...@richw.org, richwa...@gmail.com