Rich Wales wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>
>> The "Delay" values for some of the servers you have configured
>> are large enough to suggest that they are poor choices!
>
> Agreed.  Please note, though, that I didn't explicitly choose
> these particular servers -- they came from pools.
>
> This does suggest that even servers randomly picked from my own
> country's pool (*.us.pool.ntp.org) might not be good choices.
>
> When 4.2.6 comes out, will the "pool" command with the "preempt"
> option do a better job of weeding out pool servers that are far
> away, and thus possibly of doubtful reliability?

I don't think that "reliability" is a good word choice here.  A server
may be perfectly reliable and yet be unusable due to long transmission
delays.  Suitability might be a better choice.

Country pools were a good start and probably adequate for small
countries.  Countries the size of the U.S.  or the U.S.S.R. can't use a
country wide pool and have much hope of getting a nearby server.
For the U.S. I'd want a "New England pool", a "middle Atlantic pool"
(New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and Virgina), a Southern
Atlantic Pool, etc.  This assumes that "net space" maps well to
geographical space which may not always be a good assumption.

If a request for a pool server could specify the requester's latitude
and longitude perhaps that information could be used to assign a nearby
server?