Lockon wrote:
> Hi, I would appreciate if someone could tell me the reason to use the
> freeware ntpd rather than xntpd that is built into Solaris 8.  I have
> searched but I can find no compelling argument.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sunil Gupta

The version of xntpd distributed with Solaris 8 is eight to ten years
old now!

A lot of work has been done on ntpd (the "x" is no longer used).
Features have been added, bugs have been fixed, etc.  The current
version of ntpd is V4.x.  I don't know what x=.

A committee is writing a new RFC to document NTPD V4.  If memory serves
me, it has been at least 18 months now.  Perhaps in four or five years
they will finish a draft that they call all agree on.  I am not going to
hold my breath!

The version distributed with Solaris 8 is old but still works.  A new
version MIGHT work better.  You can download the current version from
the website: http://www.ntp.org