Ray wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running a new version of the NTP daemon, version 4.2.4p6, on a Linux
> machine with kenel version 2.6.27.
>
> When I start the daemon, the peer information shows that all the peer have a
> offset of about 30 milliseconds. This offset will increase to about 50
> milliseconds after an hour. It might take many hour to days before the
> offset comes down to a few milliseconds. I tried using 'iburst' on the peers
> to see if this would speed things up, but it made no difference.
>
> Are there any settings to speed up this process? Is the a problem with this
> version of NTP?
>
> Thanks,
> Ray

The topic has been visited several times in the last year or two.  The
only solution I know of is to let ntpd run continuously.  If, for any
reason, you need to shut down and reboot regularly, ntpd is probably a
poor choice.

There is software available called "chrony" which provides
"gratification now".  I am uncertain as to whether it provides the same
accuracy as ntpd.