Dave,

Better do this quickly, cleanly and with minimum wiggle room. Otherwise,
somebody who doesn't know anything will call it a security flaw, call
the CERT and create an Incident. This has happened before when somebody
claimed a stack vulnerability which in fact was true in a most unlikely
case. Although the reporter submitted a script allegedly proving this
could occur, the script was defective and nobody was able to verify it.
I'd like this not to happen again.

My point being, fix the bug, put in a conditional to temporarily revert
to past behavior and leave it be.