"Unruh" <> wrote in message news:x06gm.50657$ph1.37...@edtnps82...
[]
> In case someone else is reading this and had an interest in setting up a
> stratum 1
> server, there are off the shelf solutions. The cheapest is a Gamin
> 18xLVC GPS
> receiver, some wiring (soldering in a usb connector and a serial
> connector) and a
> computer with a usb port and a serial port.

Hardware details for a GPS 18x LVC and serial/USB connections:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm#usb

> Then use something like gpsd and ntpd
> on Linux
> ( probably also freeBSD) and you have a stratum 1 server with an
> internal accuracy
> of about 4 microseconds). Ie, the hardware is bog standard, and so is
> the
> software. There is these days no need for special hardware or software.
> No reflection on you, but just to let others know that the difficulty is
> not
> large.

Would probably work well enough on an existing server or lightly loaded
desktop PC.  Mine worked on a FreeBSD system with an Intel P133
processor/48MB from about 1995!  Anything later should be OK.  I'm now
running it on three Windows systems (2000, XP and Windows-7), although the
performance isn't as good as the FreeBSD system.

Wilson - I'm sorry to hear of your problems, particularly the charging
issue.