Dave Hart wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Danny Mayer <ma...@ntp.org> wrote:
>> Dave Hart wrote:
>>> ntpd builds on Windows shouldn't be so tightly-bound to the OpenSSL
>>> version they're built against. Â A solution has been proposed by Martin
>>> Burnicki in http://bugs.ntp.org/1302 but it has not been implemented
>>> yet.
>> Not for this. There is no way to do this since the dll order is not
>> guaranteed. You have to ship the dll of the version that you built with.
>
> In the two weeks since this email was written, the bug 1302 applink
> fix has gone in.  I have no idea what makes you think the DLL load
> order is not guaranteed.  The order is spelled out in gory detail in
> the remarks section of the LoadLibraryEx documentation:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684179(VS.85).aspx

You misunderstand my remark. The problem is with the ordinals of the
functions as defined in the .def file. OpenSSL does not guarantee that
the ordinals remain the same over different versions of the DLL. I've
run into too many problems with this to be able to rely on it working.

> As for shipping DLLs I build with, that is not practical as inane US
> export restrictions on crypto prevent me from "shipping" any OpenSSL
> DLLs to go with the NTP binaries I post.  With the bug 1302 applink
> change in place, your comments notwithstanding, I have every reason to
> believe it's doing as designed and allowing those with slightly
> different OpenSSL DLLs to run my binaries.

ISC has had no problems with shipping the required DLL with the binaries
that we build for BIND9 on Windows.

>> I also strongly recommend that it never be copied to system32 but be
>> placed in the same directory as the ntpd binary.
>
> Good advice.

The last time I checked, I had about 4 copies of the libeay32.dll in
different directories.

Danny

believed to be clean.