Thanks Dave for pointing me in a direction (I hate being directionless)

Hello Dave and all -

Regarding the potentially missing libcrypto.so ...
I have run ldd on a ntpd versions I have (pre-upgraded/non openssl fips and
upgraded/openssl FIPS) and see this list

Working ntpd version 4.2.2p1-9
Libm.so.6
Libcrypto.so.6
Libcap.so.1
Libc.so.6
Libdl.so.2
Libz.so.1
Ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Non-working nptd version 4.2.4p7
Libm.so.6
Libc.so.6
Ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

I don't understand why libcrypto is not included in my newly built ntpd? All
libs in my newly created ntpd are found.
I am in experimental mode and have changed my configure line to this
./configure --with-openssl-libdir=/tmp/openssl/lib
--with-openssl-incdir=/tmp/openssl/include/openssl --with-crypto=openssl
CPPFLAGS="-I/tmp/openssl/include -L/tmp/openssl/lib" LDFLAGS=-L/tmp/openssl/lib
I get the same library results with this configure line.

Any further ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Anna.